Throughout the week, we have a number of exciting social events that are highly anticipated! We have something for everybody, from quiet drinks with new friends, to dry events, to big parties.
Meet & Greet: On the first evening of the conference, delegates are encouraged to head to the hostel for a few drinks and a friendly meet and greet. The Discovery Bar fosters a welcoming and pleasant atmosphere.
Time: 7:00pm – late
Location: Discovery Bar, 167 Franklin St, Melbourne
Burlesque Night: Queer Collaborations Monash 2014 is hosting a burlesque evening at GH Hotel, which will surely be an event not to miss! We have a number of performers such as the lovely Anna Burley, Cherry Lush, Va Va Boombah, with many more to announce! And faaaaaaaaaabulous MC Perri Shablez to entertain everyone with her amazing wit and youthful spark.
Time: doors open at 8:00pm for an 8:30pm start
Location: GH Hotel, 1 Brighton Rd, St Kilda
- Bus 601 from Monash to Huntingdale station
- Train towards Flinders Street from Huntingdale station to Caulfield station
- Tram 3/3a towards Melbourne University from Caulfield station to stop 35 (Carlisle Street/St Kilda Road)
- Walk from stop 35 to GH Hotel
- Train towards Sandringham from Melbourne Central to Balaclava station
- Walk from Balaclava station to GH Hotel
Games Night: A games night will be going ahead on the Tuesday evening at Wholefoods, Monash University’s vegan and vegetarian restaurant. This will be a dry event and delegates are encouraged to bring their own board games if they’re particularly interested in playing one of their favourites!
Time: 8:00pm – late
Location: Wholefoods, Monash University Clayton.
Celebrating Our Diversity: This party will be hosted at exclusive underground venue Rubix Funhouse, one of Melbourne’s hidden treasures. It will be a time to celebrate all the diverse aspects of our wonderful community. Come, dance, enjoy!
Time: 8:00pm – late
Location: Rubix Funhouse, 36 Phoenix St, Brunswick
- Train towards Upfield from Melbourne Central to Brunswick station.
- Walk from Brunswick station to Rubix Funhouse
- Tram 19 towards North Coburg tram on Elizabeth St to stop 21 (Brunswick Town Hall)
Melbourne has much to offer on Thursday evening, particularly around Fitzroy, so delegates are free to explore Melbourne’s night life! We’ve listed a couple of exciting options below!
Hares & Hyenas, Melbourne’s wonderful queer book shop and café, will be hosting a spoken word event, WordSLAM?! which will feature some of Melbourne’s most talented poets. Be sure to get to Hares early because it is a very popular event amongst spoken word enthusiasts.
Time: doors open at 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start
Location: Hares & Hyenas, 63 Johnston St, Fitzroy
Cost: $8 cover charge for concession.
- Tram 112 towards West Preston on Collins St to stop 16 (cnr Brunswick St/Johnston St)
- Walk from the tram stop to Hares & Hyenas.
Thursgay is a popular queer event on Thursday evenings held at Mr Wow’s Emporium.
Time: doors open at 9:00pm and close at 1:00am
Location: Mr Wow’s Emporium, 97b Smith St, Fitzroy.
- Walk from Hares & Hyenas to Thursgay
- Tram 86 towards Bundoora RMIT on Bourke St to stop 15 (cnr Gertrude St/Smith St)
Accessibility: narrow flight of stairs and is largely inaccessible to people who cannot use stairs.
Movie Night: We will be screening the compelling and deeply personal documentary Intersexion in one of RMIT’s many large lecture theatres. Watch, listen and learn from those interviewed about their personal stories and lives.
Mani Mitchell and Grant Lahood set out to “de-mystify” intersex, looking “beyond the shame and secrecy that defines many intersex births”. Interviewing intersex people around the world, the film explores how they “navigate their way through childhood, adolescence, relationships and adulthood, when they don’t fit the binary model of a solely male and female world”. The film follows Mitchell on a tour, visiting intersex people in America, Ireland, Germany, South Africa and Australia.
Time: 8:30pm – late
Location: RMIT University, 80.01.002 (Swanston Academic Building), Swanston St, Melbourne
Final Party: Come and enjoy the final night of QC at one of Melbourne’s most exciting and hip venue spaces. The closing night party will be a night delegates cannot miss!
Time: 8:00pm – late
Location: 1000£ Bend, 361 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne.
- 1000£ Bend is a short walk from the hostel and Melbourne Central train station.